How To Prepare The Nigerian Fried Rice – Easy Steps
How to prepare the Nigerian fried rice is very easy if followed step by step.
Fried rice is a delicious meal that is mostly cooked on occasions such as weddings, naming ceremony and burial. It has also been a kitchen staple in most Nigerian homes. It is a meal cooked of rice and other healthy veggies and it is often eaten with salad. The Nigerian fried rice is so easy to prepare that you can even prepare it every weekend without breaking a sweat. Before you make that fried rice, follow our step by step method on how to make fried rice:
Step By Steps Methods On How To Prepare The Nigerian Fried Rice
- Two and a half cups of (400g) long-grain parboiled rice
- Vegetable Oil
- Half kg of chicken or turkey thigh
- 100g cow liver
- 1 tablespoon Nigerian curry powder
- ½ cup green beans and one handful of runner beans
- 3 big carrots
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 large onions bulb
- 3 stock cubes (preferably knorr cubes)
- 1 tablespoon thyme and 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 2 cloves of garlic and 1 big green pepper
- White or black pepper
Also check: How To Make Nigerian Puff Puff
Procedures on how to prepare the Nigerian fried rice
1. Wash and Dice the vegetables
- Before you cook the rice, wash all the vegetables and cut into smaller pieces. Slice the carrots, the runner peas, green pepper and onion bulb into small sizes or to your own taste. Set aside each vegetable separately.
2. Cook the meat together with the liver
- Wash the chicken and add your seasoning to it. Mix very well to be sure that the seasoning enters the chicken before putting on fire. Then add water and cook the meat until done. The liver can be cooked together with the chicken in order to save time. Remove the chicken and the liver when they are done from the chicken stock and set aside. Keep the chicken stock for later use. Slice the liver into small sizes and keep together with the veggies. Then, deep fry the meat or grill in an oven.
3. Cooking procedures
- Parboiled the rice for few minutes and later wash with cold water. A good parboil rice ensures that all the grains of the rice do not stick together. After that, wash with cold water and put in a sieve to drain all the water from it.
- Put a pot on the fire and pour the chicken stock into it. Add 1 tablespoon of curry powder and salt to taste. Allow it to boil for a few minutes before adding the parboiled rice. Then, add the garlic powder and seasoning cubes. Leave to cook on medium heat until the rice is done.
NOTE: The stock should be at the rice level, if it will not be enough then add little water to it. Also, be mindful of the seasoning you will add to the rice due to the fact that the chicken stock already has enough seasoning inside. Once the rice is done, pour it into a sieve and spread out.
- Get and frying pan and pour a small amount of vegetable oil into it. Heat up the vegetable oil then add 1 part of the diced onions and stir for 10 seconds, followed by the diced liver, 1 part of the sliced vegetables each; then add the garlic, a little black pepper and seasoning cubes to taste.
- Stir until all the ingredients absorb well and transfer the rice to a dry pot. The rice will be fried in batches, so you will have to divide the veggies into equal portions and repeat the same process until you are done with the whole rice.
Practical presentation on how to prepare the Nigerian fried rice
Watch the video below for a better understanding of how to prepare the Nigerian fried rice.
The delicious fried rice is ready. Serve with salad or coleslaw. Do not keep for several hours as this will make the rice to go bad very quickly. Fried rice is best preserved in the refrigerator. It can last for 48 hours if properly preserved in the refrigerator.