How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Permanently
The major reason for hair loss is dandruff.
The first sign of dandruff is when you start feeling some tingling sensation in the scalp, which can result in itchy, greasy patches or flaky scalp.
Scratching your scalp in the public can be a little embarrassing. That’s why we have come up with some remedies that you can follow to remove dandruff from the hair permanently.
What are the causes of dandruff?
Dandruff could be as a result of dry skin, seborrheic dermatitis, irregular brushing, using hair products that are sensitive to the scalp, overgrowth of a particular fungus called Malassezia.
Home Remedies For Dandruff
The following remedies work effectively for dandruff and keep the hair healthy and strong.
1. Aloe vera gel for dandruff
Most people are familiar with the health benefits of aloe vera but are not familiar with its efficiency in removing dandruff from the hair.
Studies have shown that aloe vera can be used to treat seborrheic dermatitis, one of the causes of dandruff.
Aloe vera contains anti-itching properties that can remove scalp irritation and also has antifungal properties that can reduce the fungus in the hair. This plant is also rich in enzymes that help reduce inflammation caused by the itching that comes with dandruff.
Studies have also shown that aloe vera gel improves skin moisture retention and promote wound healing.
Follow this method to apply aloe vera gel on your scalp.
- Extract some amount of aloe vera gel into a container.
- Scoop from the gel and gently apply to your scalp.
- Leave the gel for 40 minutes to an hour.
- Then, was with a mild shampoo of your scalp.
- Follow this process 2 to 3 times a week on non-consecutive days.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar is an effective remedy to treat severe dandruff. This is the remedy I’ve been using for years. If you have apple cider vinegar at home and you’ve not been having once a week vinegar hair wash then you have been using it all wrong.
ACV contains natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. These properties make it easy to kill and prevent the growth of certain kinds of fungus on the scalp. The acidic level in the vinegar removes dead skin cells on the scalp.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Pour some certain amount of apple cider vinegar in a jar or container.
- Dilute with water before applying on the scalp.
- Leave for an hour to penetrate very well before washing your hair.
- Do this once or twice a week.
3. Fenugreek seeds for dandruff
Fenugreek seeds are high in protein and are rich in folic acids. They are used to prevent dandruff, baldness, hair thinning, hair fall and varieties of scalp issues. It contains a high amount of lecithin which strengthen the hair follicles and hydrates the hair.
How To Use Fenugreek Seeds:
- Get some amount of fenugreek seeds and soak overnight.
- The next day, blend or mash the fenugreek seeds to form a paste.
- Then mix the paste with little lemon juice.
- Once mixed very well. Apply the mixture onto your scalp and leave for 30 minutes.
- After that wash your hair with shampoo and pat dry.
4. Orange peels
Orange peel is said to be effective in preventing dandruff in the scalp. Applying the orange peel juice to the hair help to reduce dandruff problem and keep the hair healthy and strong.
How To Use Orange Peel:
- Take the orange peels and put in a blender.
- Squeeze some lemon juice into it and blend together until it turns to a paste.
- Divide your hair into section and apply the paste unto your scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave for 2 hours.
- After that, wash with an anti-dandruff shampoo and follow up with a conditioner.
- Doing this weekly can help you get rid of dandruff for good.
5. Egg Yolk & Lemon
Lemon is very rich in Vitamin B, C and antioxidants properties that cleanse the scalp and open up clogged pores. Egg contains biotin that moisturises the scalp to rid it of dandruff and any infection. Egg yolk can also serve as a conditioner that can make the hair healthier.
How to Use Egg Yolk:
- The first method is to keep the hair and scalp dry.
- Then apply the yolk directly to your scalp.
- Cover the hair with a shower cap or a plastic bag for an hour.
- Wash your hair with shampoo afterwards. If the smell refuses to go immediately, wash your hair twice.
- You can follow this process any time of the day and it should be followed 3 times a week for effective result.
6. Scent Leaves (Basil Leaves)
Scent leaves which are known as basil leaves are one of the natural ways to remove dandruff with no side effect. It contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that can cure severe dandruff and any other hair related infections. It will leave your hair healthy and strong.
How To Use Scent Leaves:
- Get some amount of basil leaves, two teaspoons of amla powder and 2 teaspoons of water.
- Blend all of these ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
- Divide your hair in section and apply the paste to your scalp.
- Then leave for 30 minutes and wash with lukewarm water.
- This can be followed daily as there are no side effects to this method. Doing it daily will strengthen your hair and prevent the hair fall.
7. Neem & Coconut Oil
Neem is a popular ingredient in most hair shampoo because of its effectiveness in treating dandruff and curbing hair fall.
How To Apply Neem & Coconut Oil:
- Blend some amount of neem leaves together until it forms a paste.
- Add 2 drops of coconut oil into the neem paste and mix together.
- Divide your hair into section and apply the paste onto your scalp and hair.
- Let it dry for 30 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo.
- Once this is done, you can wash it with some water.
8. Mouthwash for dandruff
Mouthwash has antifungal properties that can fight the fungus that causes dandruff and hair infection.
How To Use Mouthwash:
You can get any mouthwash in the supermarket, but Listerine mouthwash is highly recommended.
- Dilute a tablespoon of Listerine mouthwash with 9 tablespoons of water.
- Mix very well in a bowl, then apply directly onto your scalp and hair.
- After that, wash some antidandruff shampoo.
- Apply on non-consecutive days for better result.
Garlic is one of the most ideal remedies for dandruff. It contains antifungal properties which makes it ideal antidotes for dandruff and have the tendency to eliminate any scalp infection.
How To Apply Garlic:
- Get a few cloves of garlic with honey.
- Blend the garlic until it forms a smooth paste.
- Then mix together with a tablespoon of honey.
- Apply the paste onto your scalp and leave for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Do it at night before you have a shower. Garlic is very strong to get rid of dandruff from the hair and make the hair healthy and strong.