Easy Steps In Preparing Nigerian Puff Puff
Puff Puff is a Nigerian snack made of flour, then fried to make a soft dough. The importance of this Nigerian snack even stretches to the eastern and southern parts of West African. The snack is majorly made from the following ingredients: flour, yeast, and sugar which is made into a round dough and then deep-fried, sometimes you can also put it in the oven. Puff Puff is widely acceptable from every corner of Nigeria which is loved by both adults and children and it is also one of the cheapest snacks you can get in the market.
Ingredients for puff puff
Making the snack is very easy if you follow the steps by steps method as instructed in this article. To produce about 25 rounds of puff puff, get the listed ingredients below. However, if you want to make it rich you can add your own twist of spices like ginger, nutmeg, egg or pepper which I will be made optional in the ingredients below.
You will need:
- Plain flour 2 cups. That’s about 250g.
- 2 teaspoon of yeast (active dried yeasts). The one commonly used in making bread.
- 2 tablespoon of grounded fresh pepper (optional)
- 1 fresh egg (optional)
- Sugar to your taste
- 3 pinches of salt.
- Lukewarm water for mixing
- Vegetable Oil
Materials Needed are:
1. A large deep pot
3. Frying spoon
5. Wooden spoon
Order for your kitchen appliances here
- Sieve the flour to remove any lumps from inside.
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix the ingredients together. The flour, sugar, yeast, salt before adding the egg and pepper.
- Slowly add in the lukewarm water in small quantities and mix everything together by hand or wooden spoon until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Cover the mixture with a table cloth or foil. Make sure it is well wrapped and kept in a warm place in order to prevent air from entering the bowl.
- Set aside for about 20 to 25 minutes to rise.
- Then, put a large pot on medium heat. Pour some oil and allow it to heat up. If you want to use a deep fryer for the dough, set the temperature to 170 degrees.
- Make sure that the oil is hot enough but not too hot before scooping the batter in small sizes into the oil using ice cream scooper or your hands. Watch the video to master the techniques in doing this in order to get the desired round shape.
- Once the downside of the balls has turned to a golden brown, turn to the other side to get the same result.
- Once the whole puff puff has turned to a golden brown, take out the ball.
- Line your sieve with a kitchen paper towel before putting the balls inside. The paper towel helps drain the excess oil from the balls as much as possible.
That’s how to make the Nigerian puff puff. Yummy! I am already salivating and can also feel the aroma from here. The snack can be served with any drink of your choice.
Why you shouldn’t take too much of puff-puff
Puff puff contains high cholesterol due to the oil-frying, so it should not be taken regularly. The reasons why it shouldn’t be taken regularly are:
- Low in protein.
- Very high in calories.
- Low amount of fibre.
- High in sugar and carbohydrates.
- High amounts of fat and oil
- Deficiency in nutritional benefits like vitamins and other vital health-promoting nutrients.
Too much consumption of puff puff could lead to:
- High cholesterol in the body.
- Weight increase
- Tummy fats
- Fats in the body and other health condition.
It is also not advisable for people with these health conditions. Above all puff puff is an easy, delicious and a very cheap snack that should be eaten at a minimal.